Tuesday 15 July 2014

"Phone Call at Dusk" by Isaac Oluyi

(Dedicated to my late mother, Alice Oluwafunmilayo Adunni Oluyi)

It was an ominous dusk
I found myself in a web of discombobulation
As I could not fathom what was amiss
The impregnable dusk birthed a disturbing dawn
Everything I touched was in a mess
I withdrew into my cocoon
Hoping the maze could be obliterated from my mind
The harder I tried, the more obfuscated I became
I took solace in round leather game confabulation
To at least travel on the wings of god of soccer
But the trip was truncated by Graham Bell
As a phone call of shock and devastation came in
Announcing the inevitable end of the road for the vehicle I boarded here
Entangling me further in a web of higgledy-piggledy
Leaving me speechless and shocked to the bone marrow
Oh Death, you have plucked my incisors!

The Morning After
I waited endlessly for the dawn to break
With my mind agitated with an array of thoughts
Wondering and wandering around in the dead of the night
The waiting was synonymous to a 9-month wait
At last the much-awaited dawn arrived
I hurriedly set out to ascertain the veracity of the previous night’s call
Silently supplicating that it would turn out a mirage
But alas the inevitable quiet end had truly happened!
Her lifeless body lay immovable on the mat
With mourners pouring encomiums on her
Remembering her good deeds with fond memories
As she was being lowered into underground mansion
Tears rolled down my cheeks and I wept uncontrollably
But I eventually solaced in her living for the happiness of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment