Tuesday 19 May 2015

My idea of Buhari's presidency by Levi Akorede

Nobody can achieve anything on earth except it be given unto him from above.

While I was a younger chap and I met people from overseas and listened to them talk about the "heavens" which they lived in, my naive and sincere judgement was always that these people were just exaggerating or just unnecessarily arrogant with what luck fate had bestowed on them. But now, I am in their position and I know more.

I have pondered on why the larger percentage of those who voted during the presidential election in Nigeria voted for the retired army general and I have been able to understand that more than ever before, the vast majority of Nigerian people have more hope and expectations from the man than any other person in the history of leadership in Nigeria. I was initially opposed to the candidature of the president-elect Mohammadu Buhari but eventually came to term with the fact that an old man like Buhari may be the way out of the confusion which was had visibly taken over the helms of affairs in Nigeria prior the election. Who could have gotten an overwhelming majority vote among the candidates that signified the intention to wrestle the presidency with Goodluck Jonathan? Kwankwanso, Atiku or who? The hope of the average Nigerian was tied to the apron of Baba Buhari.

The expectations of Nigerians are so vast and high concerning the person of Mohammadu Buhari. Someone asked why think Buhari can navigate us through this pestilential experience. My response was he can if he really wants to. The Bible makes no mistake in identifying how big a man with authority is. Buhari now has the authority to do and undo. Our hope of a better Nigeria is heaped on this person. He will make the difference. There abound in world history very many figures whom their countries brought to power for the sole purpose of rescuing the nations from both political and economic catastrophe. General Dwight Eisenhower of the United States was a military commander who became the president of the US. There was also Wiston Churchill of Great Britain. I have no doubt that Buhari will be ranked among these men of honor.

My idea of what the presidency of Muhammadu Buhari will be is a nation where the people will be proud to identify with the country just like America and Saudi Arabia. I see a country where university lecturers will teach all through the year without a threat of strike. A country where there will be an end to importation of matches, etc. A country who produces for herself. A country where the citizens' right is protected as enshrined in the constitution of the country. A country where money does not develop wings and escape through the airports and borders. A country where criminals are dully prosecuted. A country where you hide your head when you live with an undisclosed and illegal source of wealth. A country where there's the stoppage of the sole activity of irresponsible political class who steals the taxes paid by civil servants. A country where students can study on scholarships and grants. A country where I will ask myself what am I doing outside when my colleagues are doing well at home. A country where young unemployed graduates don't have to buy employment application forms, become professional scammers or armed robbers before they eat. A country devoid of ethnic militia, etc.

Buhari can achieve all these if you support the wind of change blowing across the country through this man. Muhammadu Buhari has nobody on earth to fear except the almighty God who will ask him the account of his actions and inactions on earth. I see Buhari Muhammadu putting Nigeria back where we belong in our big brother position among our fellow African nations. It's embarrassing to see other smaller countries talk down on Nigeria. I remember Chad telling the world some months ago that their military men don't run away like Nigerian Army.

Unto whom much is given, much is expected. Nigerians have vested hope and trust in Mohammadu Buhari. We voted outside religious beliefs, orientations and boundaries. God help GMB. I remain a loyal and honest Nigerian. Nigeria first, my party second. God bless Nigeria.

I'm Levi Akorede
05/15/2015
Dallas, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment