Tuesday 28 April 2015

Bring Sex Out of the Church Closet

It turns out God knows all about sex. In fact, He actually invented sex. I know, I know, you suspected humans though it up and had kept it hidden from God. Who would have thought God actually designed the whole thing and gave it to us to enjoy. Why didn’t I ever learn this in Sunday School? Not when I was a wee lad, but it would have been nice to hear about it in my teens when my sex drive took over my entire existence.

Even better, why didn’t an elder take me aside when I was about to get married and tell me sex is the greatest thing ever, and God actually wants us to do it? Maybe he could even have made a few suggestions for things to try. At the very least, he could have given me a bottle of lube and told me it would be a good idea to use it even if I thought it was unnecessary.

How about a prayer blessing our sex life before the pastor declared us man and wife and sent us off to consummate our marriage? Or, go all Pentecostal and have married couples come up, lay hands on us, and bless our sexuality. And, when the pastor told folks it was their duty to pray for our marriage, he could have said “marriage and sex life”.

Does any of that make you uncomfortable?

I’m not trying to be funny or shocking here. Think about how much better our sex lives and marriages would be if this were the norm in our churches. As an added bonus, I bet the kids in church would have a healthier and holier view of sex. Maybe they would see something worth holding out for, rather than thinking you can only enjoy sex beforeyou get married!

God is not shy about sex. The Bible is full of talk about sex. Among other things, God uses sex as a metaphor for worshipping other gods. What He says is unbelievably explicit in the original texts. Reading an accurate translation of some of those in church would get you tarred and feathered!

If God is all about sex, and has no problem openly discussing sex, why are we not the same way? Why are we all uptight and afraid of sex? It’s not from God! At best, we have believed the lies of men. Why ever we do it, the fact is we are not representing sex as God does.

Maybe I’m crazy, but I think God would like us to think about and treat sex the way He does. And maybe, just maybe, if we did that, we would have fewer sexual problems in the church.

Source: http://www.the-generous-husband.com/2015/04/26/bring-sex-out-of-the-church-closet/

No comments:

Post a Comment