Tuesday 22 March 2016

Tributes as Oladele Omoniyi Afolabi bows out of public service



The first day I met Oga Afolabi, I saw him smiling and exchanging pleasantries with everyone. It was one of those rare days he was putting on a native; he had on a babanriga. He seemed to know something about all of us even though we were new. I would come to realise later that he was a deputy director. His down-to-earth nature was one that never changed throughout the time I interacted with him. A deep thinker, a stickler for excellence - even if it is just to write 2 lines, a compassionate leader, a God-fearing personality and a consummate father. As this wonderful Nigerian, who gave his all to his fatherland clocks 60 years and bows out of public service, I can only wish him a pleasant and fulfilling retirement. In climes, where brilliance and experience are given high regards, Oga Afolabi's wealth of experience will serve as resource materials for those in the academia, government and even in the private sector. 
Even though we are in a society where dedication and commitment to public service is given scant recognition and barely rewarded appropriately, some persons have taken their time to appreciate and express their thoughts concerning this rare Nigerian.



And the 5-Star General Bows Out - Isaac Oluyi
He is suave, urbane, witty, intelligent, technology savvy and young at heart. About 10 years ago when my path and that of Mr Afolabi crossed I knew from day one that my encounter with him was not fortuitous! I was convinced it was for a purpose. The first pointer to this was that he saw what others could not see in me. He encouraged me to be more IT compliant. Characteristic of this rare gem, he did not stop at just encouraging me. He linked me up with people who would take me through the fundamentals of ICT. Even as I am typing this piece, his indelible signature on what I can do with ICT today keeps reverberating! As if that was not enough, he further encouraged me to have a go at Technology Management. He made me realise how helpful this would be for me working in a Research Institute with bias for science, technology and innovation management, being a graduate of Literature-in-English! I heeded his advice and this strategically repositioned me within the establishment. Like Nostradamus, he is a man who is blessed with the gift of seeing tomorrow! What he saw in me years back has made me to record so many firsts.
Oladele Afolabi is a Master Strategist. He believes so much in meetings before meetings. He will never attend a meeting without adequate preparation. He never sees himself as having a monopoly of knowledge, despite being a first class graduate of Mechanical Engineering from the prestigious University of Ife (now Obafemi Awolowo University). He relates with both the young and the old folks to check for the currency of his ideas. He is so techy that even the new generation becomes envious of this 60 year old's versatility in technology-related issues. He makes technology so simple that one wonders if truly that is the way it is, given how some teachers had made it look esoteric to some of us. Like Albert Einstein put it 'if you cannot explain what you know to a primary school pupil, then you don't know it'; I make bold to say that Oladele Afolabi understands technology. I have said it at different times that if this man were to be a military man, he would have been a 5 star general! He is a strategist per excellence. As this 5-star general clocks 60 today and bows out of the Public Service, I rejoice with him and wish him all the best as he begins another phase of his life. No doubt, Oladele Afolabi came, saw, participated actively and conquered, as he left as a Director of Planning! Congratulations and enjoy your retirement in peace and prosperity!

A leader bows out with dignity - David Adeyeye
Sometimes about a decade ago, our paths crossed. Initially, you were my boss; then, the relationship grew, you became a confidant, father and friend. There has been no single moment of regret since I knew you. Aside God, i can attribute my progress in career largely to you and Prof. Siyanbola. As you bow out of service today after years of unblemished and glorious service to your fatherland, I join many of your children to wish you many more years of grace and power. As your years are, so shall be your strength. God will open greater doors for you so that you can use your experience and unparalleled positive attitude to be a blessing to your family, humanity and God.
We also haven't forgotten that today is your special day. Happy birthday sir. Jumoke and David.

I celebrate an enigmatic egghead - Olumide Fadakinte
I celebrate this enigmatic egg head; a leader beyond title, a builder of men and an excellent family man. Mr. Oladele Omoniyi Afolabi is a man whose foresight is amazingly deep and this reflects in all he does or takes part in. He gave me the clearest definition of the term 'Technology' both in English and Yoruba languages. I join the whole world in celebrating a man who knows his onions, a leader who is magnanimous to a fault and a teacher who doesn't only give meaning to principles but also to lives and destinies. I celebrate my daddy in many ways, Mr. Oladele Afolabi, as you clock 60 and as you bow, HONOURABLY, out of the service of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. I know you're only retiring from Public Service. Gems like you are never tired. Happy birthday, sir and I also wish you lots of happiness in the next phase of your life.

He is only six decades young - Ayo Ogunjimi
He is NOT 60 years old. He is just 6 decades YOUNG! That's why he competes with us on the technology front.

He is a man who makes men - Abiodun Egbetokun
Happy birthday to you sir. In case no one told you yet, you're a man who makes men. Even the heavens will be glad at the sheer number of souls whose excellence you have called forth. For every one person who does not like you, rest assured in the knowledge that there are tons more who owe you. And that means a lot because the successes of those whom you have helped will always bear your marks. I know you're not tired!

He brings out the best in people -Jide Adedayo
Your hard work motivate me Sir, your sincerity inspires me, you try yo bring out the best in us and you have set a great examples for all of us. Happy Birthday Sir. Long live in good health.

1 comment:

  1. He made me happy the first day we met. He is a good leader. I will never forget the remark he made about me when we first met. He did not allow religious sentiment to becloud his sense of judgement. May Almighty Allah grant you abundance.

    ReplyDelete